Each month, Matthew Jukes gives you a simple but stunning starter or main course recipe to serve with either Jukes 1, 6 or 8.
This month is Jukes 8 paired with Red mullet linguine (approx for two)
Ingredients - Red mullet linguine
- 5 small Red Mullet (or thereabouts depending on size, substitutes are seabream or seabass) filleted by your fish shop
- 1 chopped Red Chilli or a healthy pinch of Chilli Flakes
- 1 clove of Garlic finely sliced
- The lemon zest of half a lemon and save the lemon for its juice
- 1 bunch of washed Arugula or chopped Flat-leaf parsley
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes cut in half
- Linguine for two (3/4 lb)
- Salt and Cracked black pepper
- Olive oil
Method - Put the pasta on to boil in plenty of salted water.
In a large flat round saucepan heat two-three tablespoons of olive oil and gently fry the garlic for a couple of minutes, add the mullets and fry the mullet fillets for 1-2 minutes on each side so they are barely cooked, then remove them carefully to a warm plate close by. They will finish cooking when you stir them into the pasta at the end.
In the pan, add the chilli and the cherry tomatoes and cook gently for about 5-6 minutes, stirring a few times.
When the pasta is al dente, drain but keep some of the cooking water back for use later.
Add the pasta to the pan with the lemon zest and some of the cooking water and a pinch of salt.
Stir them all together well over a low heat.
Increase the heat slightly and add the arugula (or parsley) and red mullet (which will break into smaller pieces). Give it all a gentle stir so the pasta is all covered in the oily, lemony, tomato juices.
Squeeze some lemon juice over it and season with plenty of cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.